Part of the fun of July is staying up late to see the fireworks. Remember the fun of July 4th with this simple craft using pipe cleaners and paint to create fantastic bursts of color. While you paint, talk about the sights and sounds your family experienced during fireworks displays. Older children may also enjoy watching this video about the science of fireworks.
- Large fuzzy pipe cleaners
- Paper suitable for tempera paint
- Several contrasting colors of tempera paint
- Take 4 large pipe cleaners. Fold them in half and twist to form a handle.
- Fan them out to create a starburst “brush.”
- Dip into one color of paint and make a print by placing the pipe cleaner starburst on the paper.
- Now print over the first image using a second color.
- Do 2 to 3 layers on each image to create multiple lines and colors.
- Add glitter if you wish.
–Dana D. at KDL’s Kentwood (Richard L. Root) Branch
This article originally appeared in our Early Lit Bits eNewsletter. Read the most recent issue online or sign up to receive this monthly update highlighting early literacy tips and resources for parents and caregivers.
Posted by: Ali