For this last segment of our migration to our new KDL catalog, we have good news and bad news.
The Good News: As promised, KDL’s participation in the statewide resource sharing system, MelCat, was reinstated on October 1. MeLCat makes nearly 46 million items accessible to cardholders of the 442 participating public, academic and school libraries. If you did not find a title you are looking for in the KDL catalog, you will be prompted to Continue Search in MeLCat.
- KDL cardholders may request up to 50 print items using MeLCat, but not audio or video material.
- Delivery to your KDL branch will average about one week.
- You may only request items that are currently on the shelf at participating MeLCat libraries. You cannot place a hold on checked out material.
- Non-KDL Cardholders must use their home library to access MeLCat services.
- Cardholders may check on the status of MeLCat requests and renew MeLCat material that is not yet due by accessing My MelCat. If a MeLCat item is overdue, KDL staff may renew it at their discretion. Please check at your branch, or call 616-784-2007.
The Bad News: After our migration to the new KDL catalog was well underway, we learned that the MeLCat servers are moving to a new environment, resulting in a temporary disruption of interlibrary loan services.
- Beginning Wednesday, November 18, no new MeLCat requests can be placed. Incoming and outgoing materials will continue to be processed, and currently checked out materials can still be renewed and managed using My MeLCat.
- From Wednesday, December 2 through December 11, MeLCat items will not be processed.
- Full MeLCat services are expected to resume on Saturday, December 12.
We understand that this will be a hardship for our customers, especially our homeschool families and we deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause. We were very disheartened to learn of MeLCat’s downtime after our customers have already endured so much time without access to interlibrary loan services! With this advance notice, we hope to help you plan accordingly. As always, please visit your local KDL branch or call our friendly Patron Services Department at 616-784-2007 for assistance.
Posted by: Heidi