Now that MeLCat service has been restored, we thought it’d be a good opportunity to review what exactly MeLCat is, what you as a KDL cardholder can get out of it, and how the service works:
Kent District Library participates in the statewide resource sharing system, MeLCat, which makes the collections of over 400 participating public, academic and school libraries available to KDL cardholders.
- KDL cardholders may request print items using MeLCat, but not audio or video material.
- MeLCat requests count toward the maximum 25 holds. (Note: This is a change from the previous policy.)
- You may only request items that are currently on the shelf at participating MeLCat libraries. You cannot place a hold on checked out material.
- Delivery to your KDL branch will average about one week.
- Cardholders may check on the status of MeLCat requests and renew MeLCat material that is not yet due by accessing MyMeLCat. Visit catalog.kdl.org and click on the link to MyMeLCat in the right column.
- If a MeLCat item is overdue, KDL staff may renew it at their discretion. Please check at your branch, or call 616-784-2007.
Here are a few commonly-asked questions about the MeLCat service:
How will I know when my material arrives?
Notification will be sent using the same method as KDL holds: phone, text or email as you’ve requested. You can also check a request status using MyMeLCat.
At which branch is my item available for pickup?
You can check MyMeLCat to find out where your requests are waiting.
Why do my notices say that it’s at Alpine when I usually use another branch?
One of the challenges we are working to resolve is that MeLCat notifications indicate that material is located at the Alpine Branch, which is only true if you chose to get your MeLCat items at Alpine. Please check your MyMeLCat account to verify the location status of items or ask KDL staff for assistance.
What if my MeLCat items are not on the hold shelf at my branch?
Check your MyMeLCat account to see where you wanted them picked up. Please call 616-784-2007 to verify that those items are there, or ask branch staff to verify this for you.
Why is my hold taking so long if the item is available at a nearby library?
The MeLCat system fills requests with the first available item from any participating library in Michigan, not necessarily from the closest owning library.
Posted by: Vivi