KDL’s 12th annual Teen Poetry Contest was a great success thanks to all the talented teen poets out there. This year, about 150 poems were submitted. Library staff reviewed the poems and narrowed down the entries, submitting them to Poet G.F. Korreck for final analysis. Eleven exceptional poems were selected.
Congratulations to the recognized poets!
- 5 Years and Counting by Marla Soto
- Admiral’s Arch by Jonathan Boakes
- Director’s Cut by Allison Davey
- Exposed by Brianne Kerr
- her by Gabby Jansma-Skinner
- Little Green Drug by Syd Langeweg
- Penelope by Melissa Soto
- Return to Where I’m From by Echo Oliver
- Summer Nights by Rachel Heywood
- twenty five over fifty five by Joseph Felkers
- Broccoli by Sydney Vo
We would like to extend a special thanks to our judge, G.F. Korreck. We appreciate his expertise and his willingness to judge our contest this year.
“I am not comfortable with the term “winner,” especially when it comes to reading poetry. There are so many ways to read a poem, so many ways it can touch someone. The proof, the value of any poem is to what degree it engages a reader, whether it challenges, makes the reader perhaps a bit uncomfortable, enlightens, stirs, awakens. It wasn’t easy selecting 11 poems. All had merit. I was impressed by the range of topics and the ambitious efforts of the writers.”
Posted by: Katie